Carnet de Passages: the passport for your vehicle


The Carnet de Passages is an international customs document. It is required in certain countries of Africa, Asia and South America as well as in Australia and New Zealand for the duty-free and temporary importation of a vehicle.

Video starten

Important Information

Due to the respiratory disease COVID-19, you should get first in touch with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and check the current status of entry requirements.


Carnet de Passages: advice by ADAC

  • Phone hours:
    +49 89 76 76 63 38
    Monday - Friday: 08.00 - 14.00 (8 am - 2 pm)

    Visiting hours:
    Due to organizational reasons we can't welcome clients personally. Please contact us by phone or e-mail (


At the moment, the Carnet de Passages is not accepted by the customs authority in Bangladesh. That means that the Carnet cannot be used for the temporary importation. For the temporary importation of the vehicle, a deposit must be lodged at the customs authority at the port of entry in Bangladesh.


When entering India with the Carnet de Passages, the Indian customs authority often requires a confirmation issued by ADAC. Hereby we confirm that your Carnet was issued by ADAC. As Indian customs authority often wants to receive this confirmation directly from ADAC, we don't send it to you with the Carnet. The request of this confirmation may cause delay on entry.



Important note:

Due to the travel restrictions in connection with the coronavirus pandemic and the possible closure of borders, it cannot currently be excluded that you may not be able to leave Iran in a vehicle by land. This means that re-exporting a vehicle from Iran in due time and form is not guaranteed.

Not re-exporting the vehicle from Iran in due time will leave the carnet holder with very high customs claims and also customs penalties.

If you have any queries, please contact the ADAC Customs Documents (Grenzverkehr) team at +49 89 76 76 63 38 or


Since end of August 2016, vehicle importation rules in Indonesia have become stricter:
Travellers, who would like to import their vehicle temporarily under a Carnet de Passages, have to provide different information to the Indonesian automobile club to avoid long waiting periods at the border.
Please provide following information to the club (IMI) by e-mail at the latest one week before your planned entry:

• Name
• Country of residency
• Carnet number
• Port and date of entry to Indonesia  
• Itinerary plan in Indonesia  
• Port and date of exit from Indonesia


Generally, the Carnet de Passages is required for the temporary importation of a vehicle into Japan. Due to the ratification of different conventions on the road traffic, Japanese authorities don’t accept vehicle registrations from Germany, Switzerland, Monaco or Slovenia. Therefore, it is possible that the temporary importation will be refused even if you have a Carnet de Passages.  For further information please contact JAF directly: This is why you have first to let verify the Carnet at the Japanese Automobile Association JAF. After the verification, your vehicle will be inspected and registered in Japan.


Until further notice no Carnet de Passages will be issued with validity in Libya.
For further information about the temporary importation of your vehicle please get in contact with the Libyan Embassy.


You don't need a Carnet de Passages for the temporary importation of a vehicle into Mongolia.
In case of still using the Carnet for the temporary importation, please note that you have to follow the same customs procedures for the closure of the Carnet as when using the document in Carnet-relevant countries.


Since 1st of January 2017 there are stricter rules in Thailand concerning the temporary importation of your own vehicle. Please note that you need a permission for the temporary import.
For further information please contact the Department of Land Transport of Thailand* at least 30 working days before your planned entry.

*By clicking on the links, you will be redirected to external websites for which the respective site operator is responsible.

Country Overview

Here you can see if you need a Carnet de Passages for your journey.

Application / Use

The Carnet de Passages can be issued in the name of only one person and for one vehicle. That means it is not transferrable to another person or vehicle. The Carnet is valid for 12 months. 
The document's holder is liable for consequences which reveal from loss or abuse of an unauthorized third party.
The Carnet is regarded as an official document and stays property of ADAC. That's why the document's holder should keep it carefully.

New Application

You can download and print the application form for the Carnet de Passages here:
New Application, 476,98 KB

Please send the complete documents for the application

  • original application form (3 pages) signed by the applicant 
  • copy of ID or passport
  • copy of vehicle registration papers
  • original and signed collateral promise (3 pages) if you aren't the owner of the vehicle
  • copy of automobile membership card (affiliated to the FIA)
  • original bank guarantee form (if you have applied for one)

to following address:

Hansastr. 19
80686 München

Follow-up Carnet

If your Carnet de Passages is going to expire or is running out of pages and you want to continue your journey, you will need a Follow-up Carnet.
Please apply for it 6 - 8 weeks before the expiry date at ADAC in Munich.
For the issuing of the Follow-up Carnet we need a new application form as well as the same documents of the first application. Please download here the current version:

Follow-up Carnet, 476,98 KB

If you then decide to go to countries which are not covered by the actual Carnet, the deposit must be increased.
If not, the deposit will be transferred to the Follow-up Carnet.
The issuing fee has to be paid again. Please use the actual table of fees.

The old Carnet will be stamped out on exit and the new one will be stamped in on entry.

Extension of Carnet validity

If a vehicle cannot be exported from a country within the Carnet validity, it can usually be extended by another 3 months. This is only possible in a country where an automobile club exists.
Please apply for the extension 4 - 6 weeks before the expiry at ADAC and the foreign automobile club. The foreign automobile club will get in contact with foreign customs authority. We can provide the according contact details upon request.
Customs authority has to give its approval for this extension. As soon as the extension was granted by customs authority, the foreign automobile club will ask for our permission. We will give our permission as soon as the extension fee (proportional paying based on the issuing fee) is on our bank account.

An extended Carnet is only valid in the country of extension. You can use it for leaving the country only, not for continuing your journey (please see Follow-up Carnet).

There are special rules in a few countries:

South Africa, 120,51 KB

Australia, 49,39 KB

New Zealand, 110,95 KB 


Here you find answers to frequently asked questions concerning the Carnet de Passages:

What is a Carnet de Passages?

The Carnet de Passages is a customs document and replaces the lodging of a deposit on entering a country. The Carnet guarantees the country you are visiting that your vehicle will be exported. It can be used in several countries and it is valid for one year. The insurance for the vehicle is not included.

In which countries do I need the Carnet de Passages?

Please see tab Country Overview.

For how long is the Carnet de Passages valid? 

The Carnet de Passages is valid for 12 months. The respective customs authority decides the maximum period of stay for the vehicle. This period can be different to the validity of the Carnet. An extension of the Carnet has to be asked for directly at the foreign automobile club or ADAC issues a Follow-up Carnet (please see tab Application/ Use). In both cases, please get in contact with us at least 6 weeks before expiry of the Carnet.

How much do I have to pay for a Carnet de Passages?

The exact costs for the Carnet can be found in the application documents (please see tab Application/ Use).

How much time does ADAC need for the issuing of a Carnet de Passages?

As soon as all required documents (original and signed application form, copy of passport, vehicle registration papers and automobile membership card) and the payment of deposit and issuing fee have been received by ADAC, we need approximately 2 - 3 weeks for the issuing and dispatch. During high season from May to October you should expect an issuing time of approximately 6 weeks.

When may I apply for the Carnet de Passages?

Please send your application documents on time (at least 4 weeks prior to your departure). Therefore please send the originally signed application form and copies of your passport, vehicle registration document and automobile club membership card to:

Hansastrasse 19
80686 München


I am first travelling through Europe and I need the Carnet de Passages later during my journey. How can I apply for the Carnet de Passages?

You can apply before your departure for the Carnet de Passages. Please clarify the dispatch modalities with ADAC. The Carnet de Passages will be issued and sent on time to any address you wish by DHL. The costs for DHL have to be paid by the applicant. Please note that the Carnet can be pre-dated only 28 days.

How do I get in touch with you?

You can contact us via:

phone: +49 89 76 76 63 38 (Monday - Friday from 8 am to 2 pm)

Due to organizational reasons we can't welcome any clients personally.

Where do I have to send my Carnet to after the trip?

When your journey is over and your vehicle is back at home, please present your vehicle and the Carnet to your national customs authority. It has to stamp and confirm the Certificate of Location (page 26 in the Carnet). Afterwards please send the Carnet by registered mail or courier to:

Hansastrasse 19
80686 München

I have a follow-up Carnet and would like to send back the old Carnet. Is that possible? If so, how?

If you want to send back your expired Carnet, because you have a Follow-up Carnet, please don't forget to send along a copy of the first page inside. This copy must contain the vehicle data as well as a foreign customs stamp.
The expired Carnet along with the copy can be sent back by registered mail or courier to:

Hansastrasse 19
80686 München

Does the vehicle need to stay registered in my country of residency during my journey? 

We recommend you to keep your vehicle registered because you will need a valid registration as soon as you return to Europe.

Which insurance do I need for the journey? 

In most countries you are obliged to present a liability insurance. Probably your insurance company doesn’t offer a global liability insurance. That’s why it is possible to take out insurance at the border of a country with liability insurance duty.