Carnet de Passages – the passport for your vehicle

Bild/Video: © ADAC e.V.

You're planning to drive around Australia with your own vehicle, to set out east on the Silk Road or want to go on a safari in Africa? A careful preparation is essential in advance. Among other documents, you will be asked for a Carnet de Passages at many border crossings outside Europe.

  • Carnet de Passages: An international customs document for the duty-free and temporary importation of a vehicle

  • Required in certain countries of Africa, Asia and South America as well as in Australia and New Zealand

  • Valid for twelve months

Carnet de Passages - Consultancy by ADAC

Important information

Due to the quickly changing travel restrictions, you should get in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs and check the current status of entry requirements first.

An overview - Which country requires a Carnet?

Here you can see if you need a Carnet de Passages for your journey.

PDF, 2,01 MB
PDF ansehen
Middle East
PDF, 1,67 MB
PDF ansehen
PDF, 435 KB
PDF ansehen
Asian-Pacific region
PDF, 479 KB
PDF ansehen
South America
PDF, 458 KB
PDF ansehen
North America
PDF, 720 KB
PDF ansehen

Application and use

The Carnet de Passages can be issued in the name of only one person and for one vehicle. That means it is not transferrable to another person or vehicle. The document's holder is liable for consequences which reveal from loss or abuse of an unauthorized third party.
The Carnet is regarded as an official document and stays property of ADAC. That's why the document's holder should keep it carefully.

Please send the complete documents for the application

  • original application form version 23A (3 pages) signed by the applicant 

  • copy of ID or passport

  • copy of vehicle registration papers

  • original and signed collateral promise (3 pages), if you aren't the owner of the vehicle

  • for camping vehicles a copy of a current valuation report or proof of current vehicle value

  • copy of automobile membership card (affiliated to the FIA)

  • original bank guarantee form (if you have applied for one) 

to following address:
Hansastr. 19
80686 München/Munich

You can download and print the application form for the Carnet de Passages here:

application form
PDF, 1,01 MB
PDF ansehen

Follow-up Carnet for your onward journey

If your Carnet de Passages is going to expire or is running out of pages and you want to continue your journey, you will need a follow-up Carnet.
Please apply for it 6 to 8 weeks before the expiry date of your Carnet at ADAC in Munich.
For the issuing of the follow-up Carnet we need a new application form as well as the same documents of the first application. Please download here the current version.
If you then decide to go to countries which are not covered by the actual Carnet, the deposit must be increased. If not, the deposit will be transferred to the follow-up Carnet.
The issuing fee has to be paid again. Please use the actual table of fees.

The old Carnet will be stamped out on exit and the new one will be stamped in on entry.

application form
PDF, 1,01 MB
PDF ansehen

Extension of Carnet validity

If a vehicle cannot be exported from a country within the Carnet validity, it can usually be extended by another three months. This is only possible in a country where an automobile club exists.

Please apply for the extension 4 to 6 weeks before the expiry at ADAC and the foreign automobile club. The foreign automobile club will get in contact with foreign customs authority. We can provide the according contact details upon request.
Customs authority has to give its approval for this extension. As soon as the extension was granted by customs authority, the foreign automobile club will ask for our permission. We will give our permission as soon as the extension fee (proportional paying based on the issuing fee) is on our bank account.

An extended Carnet is only valid in the country of extension. You can use it for leaving the country only, not for continuing your journey (please see Follow-up Carnet).

There are special rules in a few countries:

Extension South African Customs Union (South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho)
PDF, 199 KB
PDF ansehen
Extension Australia
PDF, 98,8 KB
PDF ansehen
Extension New Zealand
PDF, 98,1 KB
PDF ansehen
Extension in general
PDF, 122 KB
PDF ansehen

FAQs regarding your trip

Here you find answers to frequently asked questions concerning the Carnet de Passages: