Carnet de Passages: the passport for your vehicle


The Carnet de Passages is an international customs document. It is required in certain countries of Africa, Asia and South America as well as in Australia and New Zealand for the duty-free and temporary importation of a vehicle.

Important Information


Carnet de Passages: advice by ADAC

  • Phone hours:
    +49 89 76 76 63 38
    Monday - Friday: 08.00 - 14.00 (8 am - 2 pm)

    Visiting hours:
    Due to organizational reasons we can't welcome clients personally. Please contact us by phone or e-mail (

Validity and issuing date

From 1st of January 2019 it is not longer possible to issue a Carnet de Passages in advance due to a change in our system!
That means the validity date corresponds to the issuing date. The Carnet is valid for 12 months from this date.
Please consider this matter when applying for your Carnet.


When entering India with the Carnet de Passages, the Indian customs authority often requires a confirmation issued by ADAC. Hereby we confirm that your Carnet was issued by ADAC. As Indian customs authority often wants to receive this confirmation directly from ADAC, we don't send it to you with the Carnet. The request of this confirmation may cause delay on entry.


September 11, 2019:
The restriction regarding the temporary importation of motorcycles has been removed. The entry with a motorcycle is possible and a Carnet de Passages is necessary for the temporary importation again.

April 16, 2019:
According to our latest information, the temporary importation of motorcycles with more than 250 cc is not possible at the moment. As soon as we receive an update, we will inform you here. 

December 13, 2018:
The importation of luxury cars and American branded vehicles is still forbidden.
The restriction to import temporarily motorcycles with engine capacity of more than 250 cc is still valid. Nevertheless the temporary importation of motorcycles seems to be no problem.

October 16, 2018: 
Until now, the refusal of temporary importation is officially still valid. 

August 7, 2018:
The temporary importation of any American branded vehicle into Iran is forbidden!
On August 2, 2018 ADAC received the following information:
Since July 23, 2018 the temporary importation of motorcycles with engine capacity of more than 250 cc and of American branded motorcycles is forbidden.
Since receipt of this notification, we work at high pressure to obtain more information.
As soon as we know more, we will inform you. 



Since end of August 2016, vehicle importation rules in Indonesia have become stricter:
Travellers, who would like to import their vehicle temporarily under a Carnet de Passages, have to provide different information to the Indonesian automobile club to avoid long waiting periods at the border.
Please provide following information to the club (IMI) by e-mail at the latest one week before your planned entry:

• Name
• Country of residency
• Carnet number
• Port and date of entry to Indonesia  
• Itinerary plan in Indonesia  
• Port and date of exit from Indonesia


Until further notice no Carnet de Passages will be issued with validity in Libya.
For further information about the temporary importation of your vehicle please get in contact with the Libyan Embassy.


You don't need a Carnet de Passages for the temporary importation of a vehicle into Mongolia.
In case of still using the Carnet for the temporary importation, please note that you have to follow the same customs procedures for the closure of the Carnet as when using the document in Carnet-relevant countries.

South African Customs Union (South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho, Swasiland)

The maximum period of stay for your vehicle is 12 months. During this period you must have a valid and confirmed Carnet de Passages. If your vehicle cannot be exported out of the South African Customs Union and if your Carnet de Passages is going to expire, the stay can be extended for another year. For this you definitely need the approval of the South African customs authority and a Follow-up Carnet. Further information about the procedure (Substitution), 120,51 KB


Since 1st of January 2017 there are stricter rules in Thailand concerning the temporary importation of your own vehicle. Please note that you need a permission for the temporary import.
For further information please contact the Department of Land Transport of Thailand* at least 30 working days before your planned entry.

*By clicking on the links, you will be redirected to external websites for which the respective site operator is responsible.

Carnet de Passages: Application / Use

The Carnet de Passages can be issued in the name of only one person and for one vehicle. That means it is not transferrable to another person or vehicle. The Carnet is valid for 12 months from the issuing date. 
The document's holder is liable for consequences which reveal from loss or abuse of an unauthorized third party.
The Carnet is regarded as an official document and stays property of ADAC. That's why the document's holder should keep it carefully.

New Application

You can download and print the application form for the Carnet de Passages here:
New Application, 463,12 KB

Please send the complete documents for the application

  • original application form (3 pages) signed by the applicant 
  • copy of ID or passport
  • copy of vehicle registration papers
  • original and signed collateral promise (3 pages) if you aren't the owner of the vehicle
  • copy of automobile membership card (affiliated to the FIA)
  • original bank guarantee form (if you have applied for one)

to following address:

Hansastr. 19
80686 München

Follow-up Carnet

If your Carnet de Passages is going to expire or is running out of pages and you want to continue your journey, you will need a Follow-up Carnet.
Please apply for it 6 - 8 weeks before the expiry date at ADAC in Munich.
For the issuing of the Follow-up Carnet we need a new application form as well as the same documents of the first application. Please download here the current version:

Follow-up Carnet, 468,14 KB

If you then decide to go to countries which are not covered by the actual Carnet, the deposit must be increased.
If not, the deposit will be transferred to the Follow-up Carnet.
The issuing fee has to be paid again. Please use the actual table of fees.

The old Carnet will be stamped out on exit and the new one will be stamped in on entry.

Extension of Carnet validity

If a vehicle cannot be exported from a country within the Carnet validity, it can usually be extended by another 3 months. This is only possible in a country where an automobile club exists.
Please apply for the extension 4 - 6 weeks before the expiry at ADAC and the foreign automobile club. The foreign automobile club will get in contact with foreign customs authority. We can provide the according contact details upon request.
Customs authority has to give its approval for this extension. As soon as the extension was granted by customs authority, the foreign automobile club will ask for our permission. We will give our permission as soon as the extension fee (proportional paying based on the issuing fee) is on our bank account.

An extended Carnet is only valid in the country of extension. You can use it for leaving the country only, not for continuing your journey (please see Follow-up Carnet).

There are special rules in a few countries:

South Africa, 120,51 KB

Australia, 49,39 KB

New Zealand, 48,67 KB 

Frequently asked questions about the Carnet de Passages

Here you find answers to frequently asked questions concerning the Carnet de Passages:

What is a Carnet de Passages?

The Carnet de Passages is a customs document and replaces the lodging of a deposit on entering a country. The Carnet guarantees the country you are visiting that your vehicle will be exported. It can be used in several countries and it is valid for one year from the issuing date. The insurance for the vehicle is not included.

In which countries do I need the Carnet de Passages?

Please see tab Country Overview.

For how long is the Carnet de Passages valid? 

The Carnet de Passages is valid for 12 months from the issuing date. The respective customs authority decides the maximum period of stay for the vehicle. This period can be different to the validity of the Carnet. An extension of the Carnet has to be asked for directly at the foreign automobile club or ADAC issues a Follow-up Carnet (please see tab Application/ Use). In both cases, please get in contact with us at least 6 weeks before expiry of the Carnet.

How much do I have to pay for a Carnet de Passages?

The exact costs for the Carnet can be found in the application documents (please see tab Application/ Use).

How much time does ADAC need for the issuing of a Carnet de Passages?

As soon as all required documents (original and signed application form, copy of passport, vehicle registration papers and automobile membership card) and the payment of deposit and issuing fee have been received by ADAC, we need approximately 2 - 3 weeks for the issuing and dispatch. During high season from May to October you should expect an issuing time of approximately 6 weeks.

When may I apply for the Carnet de Passages?

Please send your application documents on time (at least 4 weeks prior to your departure). Therefore please send the originally signed application form and copies of your passport, vehicle registration document and automobile club membership card to:

Hansastrasse 19
80686 München

Please note that the day of Carnet issuing is the beginning of your Carnet validity. It is not possible to issue the Carnet in advance!

I am first travelling through Europe and I need the Carnet de Passages later during my journey. How can I apply for the Carnet de Passages?

You can apply before your departure for the Carnet de Passages. Please clarify the dispatch modalities with ADAC. The Carnet de Passages will be issued and sent on time to any address you wish by DHL. The costs for DHL have to be paid by the applicant. Please note that the day of Carnet issuing is the beginning of your Carnet validity. It is not possible to issue the Carnet in advance!

How do I get in touch with you?

You can contact us via:

phone: +49 89 76 76 63 38 (Monday - Friday from 8 am to 2 pm)

Due to organizational reasons we can't welcome any clients personally.

Where do I have to send my Carnet to after the trip?

When your journey is over and your vehicle is back at home, please present your vehicle and the Carnet to your national customs authority. It has to stamp and confirm the Certificate of Location (page 26 in the Carnet). Afterwards please send the Carnet by registered mail or courier to:

Hansastrasse 19
80686 München

I have a follow-up Carnet and would like to send back the old Carnet. Is that possible? If so, how?

If you want to send back your expired Carnet, because you have a Follow-up Carnet, please don't forget to send along a copy of the first page inside. This copy must contain the vehicle data as well as a foreign customs stamp.
The expired Carnet along with the copy can be sent back by registered mail or courier to:

Hansastrasse 19
80686 München

Does the vehicle need to stay registered in my country of residency during my journey? 

We recommend you to keep your vehicle registered because you will need a valid registration as soon as you return to Europe.

Which insurance do I need for the journey? 

In most countries you are obliged to present a liability insurance. Probably your insurance company doesn’t offer a global liability insurance. That’s why it is possible to take out insurance at the border of a country with liability insurance duty.